When a Mentor Becomes a Brother
There is a priest whom I have long looked up to.
He taught me many things—not only through formal lessons, but through the quiet discipline of his life. He taught me to study well, to pray well, to carry myself with dignity, and to serve in a way that earns respect without demanding it. He also taught me practical things: how to move with prudence, how to speak with care, how to prepare well, how to value order, silence, and responsibility.
In many ways, he helped shape the priest I am becoming.
That is why, when I later learned something deeply human and painful about him, I felt devastated.
I will not name it. I do not need to. Some matters are too delicate to be turned into details. Some stories are not ours to expose. Some truths must be carried with reverence, not repeated with curiosity.
What I can say is this: something in me was shaken.
Perhaps what broke was not my respect for him, but my image of him. I had seen him as strong, wise, composed, almost beyond the ordinary struggles of life. But suddenly, I was reminded that even the people who guide us are also pilgrims. Even those who teach us discipline carry hidden burdens. Even priests who form other priests remain men in need of grace.
And I, too, am a priest.
That realization humbled me.
The priesthood does not remove the mystery of human weakness. Ordination consecrates a man, but it does not erase his wounds. Grace strengthens, but it does not make anyone immune to struggle. The cassock does not cancel the cross. The stole does not silence the need for mercy.
I do not need to deny my disappointment. I can bring it honestly to prayer: “Lord, I am shaken. I am confused. Teach me how to see with Your eyes.”
But I must also guard my heart.
A priest must not become a judge of another priest’s soul. A brother’s frailty must not become material for gossip. A painful discovery must not erase a lifetime of goodness, service, and formation. If there is harm, justice must be pursued. But where there is human weakness, there must also be discretion, charity, and prayer.
Perhaps in his younger years, this priest taught me how to be respected.
Now, in his old age, he is teaching me something harder: how to be merciful.
He taught me to study well. Now I must study the human heart with compassion.
He taught me to pray well. Now I must pray with fewer illusions and deeper humility.
He taught me to carry myself with dignity. Now I must learn to protect the dignity of another, especially when I am disappointed.
This does not mean being naïve. It means being Christian.
It means allowing truth and charity to stand together. It means refusing unnecessary details. It means resisting the temptation to reduce a whole life to one painful discovery. It means remembering that the priesthood is not built on the perfection of priests, but on the faithfulness of Christ.
Maybe priestly maturity begins when admiration becomes compassion.
When the mentor becomes a brother.
When disappointment is not wasted, but purified.
And when the heart learns to pray:
No comments:
God bless you!